KOLKATA: Dead bodies of a young couple were found inside a rented flat at a premium residential apartment in Salt Lake Nayapatty in West Bengal capital Kolkata on Wednesday evening.
According to police, the woman – Sudipta Guha Biswas (36) – was lying lifeless on the floor while the man – Debasis Dasgupta (39) – was hanging from the ceiling fan in the same room. Cops have found a suicide note with them where they have said they were killing themselves out of some financial crunch and had requested their family members to cremate them together.
Police said the woman has ligature marks around her neck and suspect the man may have committed suicide after murdering the woman.
“We are checking the handwriting of the letter but prima faci it looks like the man had possibly killed the woman and then hanged himself. We have however sent the bodies for post mortem to find the exact time and cause of the deaths,” said a senior officer of Bidhannagar commissionerate.
Police said the duo had booked the flat for one and half months over an app that deals with rented properties. They had told the landlord they were in a relationship and had come from Chennai after some family dispute. They were scheduled to leave the flat on Wednesday and head back to Chennai, the flat owner has told the cops.
“On Wednesday, the building caretaker had seen the man around 6.30am. They were scheduled to vacate the flat by afternoon. However, when they didn’t leave, the caretaker pressed the bell on several occasions but didn’t get a reply. The TV and air conditioner were switched on. The caretaker had even switched off the electric supply from outside but even then there was no response from the duo. That raised the man’s suspicion who informed the flat owner who in turn called us,” said the officer.
A team from the Electronic Complex Police station walked into the flat after opening it with a duplicate key when they found the bodies in the drawing room around 6.30pm. Forensic sciences officials were called in who collected samples from the flat before handing it over to the cops. The two bodies were then sent for post mortem examination at RG Kar Medical College and Hospital.
Police said the man hailed from Khardah and the woman was a resident of Coochbehar.