Most places of the country are likely to experience much-awaited showers amid lightning strikes in the 24 hours from Friday night.
Thunderstorms with intense lightning may occur mainly in Mymensingh and Sylhet divisions and at some places in Rajshahi, Rangpur, Dhaka and Khulna divisions as well as Comilla region, according to a bulletin of the Bangladesh Meteorology Department (BMD).
However, the people in Khulna division and the districts of Tangail, Gopalgonj, Faridpur, Madaripur, Rangamati, Rajshahi and Pabna may have to face the wrath of the heatwave for another day.
The weather may remain mainly dry with a temporary partly cloudy sky elsewhere over the country, according to the Met Office.
The maximum temperature was recorded at 38°C in Jessore in the past 24 hours and 35.6°C in Dhaka.
The rains will reduce the temperature and may continue over the next few days as a trough of westerly low lies over the Sub-Himalayan West Bengal and adjoining area and seasonal low lies over the South Bay.
How to stay safe from thunderbolt
1. Take shelter under a nearby concrete house. If there is frequent lightning, do not stay in any open or a high place.
2. Stay away from trees and electric poles as there is a high possibility of lightning strikes on high trees or electric poles. The passenger sheds are also unsafe.
3. Do not stay close to windows at home when there is lightning. Keep the windows closed and stay within the house.
4. Avoid metallic objects. Do not touch metal, stair railing, metal pipes, etc during lightning. Do not even touch landline telephones; many people get injured that way.
5. Avoid touching all connected electric appliances, including TV and fridge. Do not touch TVs, refrigerators, etc. If lightning starts, disconnect all plugs from electric lines.
6. If you are in a car during lightning, try to return home as fast as possible. If there is a heavy thunderstorm and rain, take the car under any shed. Touching the windowpanes can be dangerous at that time.
7. Waterlogging is very common in the rainy season and the logged water can be electrified by the snapped electric line. So, it is better to stay home during lightning.
8. Walking barefoot or using wet leather shoes during lightning is very dangerous. A rubber gumboot will be the safest thing.
9. Remain alert on the road during lightning. Avoid the spots where the tendency of lightning is high. If someone gets injured, try to take them to a hospital quickly.